Friday, May 30, 2008

Squidoo has a new dashboard

Let me be the last person to blog about this and share my thoughts. :-) But I've had some time now to use it, play with it, think about it. And here are my thoughts.

Pros:
  • It looks pretty. Always a good thing. Actually, it pretty much fits with the look and feel of the lens layout. Nothing wrong with trying to create some consistency for the brand.
  • Daily Digest feature great for people who don't work on all their lenses all the time. So you come in once a month or so and it's good for you.
  • Labeling quite useful for those with trillions of lenses (and those of us with a few less than that!)
  • The tabs across the top and the links down the side make it easier to get to where you want to go from whatever page you're on.
Wishes (not Cons!):
  • That the links in the Daily Digest would go to the workshop instead of the lens.
  • WIP lens not be included in the "work on" area of the Daily Digest
  • Change default from daily digest to lens list (this is apparently in the works for us to be able to set)
  • Edit this lens button from the stats page for the lens (which I asked for ages ago)
Overall, it seems to me that this new version of the dashboard is really just a first step. One of those - oh my, we haven't updated this for a year, here's what we can get done quickly and easily and have something new - type deals that I've done on many a website. Change the look and add one or two new features to wow everyone, then slow down to actually add some functionality that's different. Don't get me wrong, it's a great first step. Labeling alone is a fabulous feature worth having in the arsenal. We just need to remember that this is just a first step.

No comments: